Compared, demystified and clarified to help you determine which one is right for you.
You may have heard of WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Mamba, Moodle, Open-Realty, PostNuke, Siteframe, TYPO3, XOOPS, TikiWiki, or B2Evolution.
Odds are good you may not know which is a blog, which is a wiki and which are content management systems? All of them are great applications; but which one is right for you? Depending on your specific needs, as a team we can determine which of these blogs, wikis or content management systems is right for you; and then set them up and host them for you.
Content Management Systems [CMS]
One of the most well known and very powerful CMS available is Drupal . A dynamic web site platform which allows an individual or community of users to publish, manage and organize a variety of content. Drupal integrates many popular features of content management systems, weblogs, collaborative tools and discussion-based community software into one easy to use package. The learning curve is a little steeper than others, but not nearly as treacherous as the learning curve for Plone, as an example.
Now, if you are in need of a place to post press releases or news items, manage staff pages, job listings, product images, and create an unlimited amount of sections or content pages on your site you might want to consider Joomla .
What about Mambo? First and foremost, Mambo is a Content Management System. It is built on a solid application framework rather than on add-ons, which are typically found in many portal solutions. Because of this, you will need 3rd party component modules for further expansion. Bear in mind, those modules may have price tags associated with them.
If you need a content management system designed for training purposes, consider Moodle . Moodle is a software package for producing internet based courses and web sites. Moodle allows for easy course management and addition through an easy to use WYSIWYG interface. You have the ability with Moodle to easily manage courses, assignments, users, administrators and forums through its easy to use tools.
Are you a realtor in need of a way to list properties? Open-Realty may be exactly what you are looking for. It is a web based real estate listing management application. Written in PHP, it is designed to be a fast and flexible tool for your website.
Do you need a browser based content management system that is ADODB compliant? If so, you may want to consider the many features and benefits of PostNuke :
- Site structure, design, editing, and the submission of site content can be separated for easy administration of material.
- Sites are scalable; so many people can contribute to a PostNuke site/community.
- Sites are flexible, there are great default features included in PostNuke and these can be easily altered, extended, or modified.
- Site development is Open Source (collaborative code) allowing robust, modular, consistent, security and standards-aware feature-rich software with a number of support options.
- Completely Database-Driven Site Engine (ADODB Compliant).
- Extendable Through The Use of Third Party Modules.
- Powerful Security Module for Multi-level User/Administrator Logins.
- Fully Editable and Manageable News, Links, Downloads, FAQ, and Services Sections.
- Dynamic Forum/Poll/Voting Booth for On-The-Spot Results.
- News Feed Manager – Access to over 1,000 news feeds.
- Banner Ad Manager – Sell Advertising on your site.
- Site Statistics indicates Browser & Operating System, Top News and Articles.
- Distribute workload using the Users/Administrators Manager.
For those interested in setting up their own online community that will allow its members to be able to upload and edit site content such as pictures, articles, links, and files; or optionally comment and rate site content and communicate with one another via email; can keep in touch with regular newsletters automatically generated by the website, then you may want Siteframe .
Do you need or have a desire to develop your own classified ads site? Then take a look at some of the features and benefits of Noah …